© AIAS and AIA All Rights Reserved

Architecture Education

In the United States you should pursue a degree from an architecture program which is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in order to meet the educational qualifications necessary to take the Architectural Registration Exam or "ARE." There are other pathways to a license and you can read more about them on the NCARB Web site.

More than 100 architecture programs are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in the United States. NAAB accredited professional programs in architecture leading to the Doctor of Architecture, Master of Architecture or Bachelor of Architecture degree.  Students may graduate from either a pre-professional architecture degree or undergraduate degree in another discipline and then complete an accredited Master of Architecture program.

The NAAB is the sole agency authorized to accredit U.S. degree programs in architecture. The listing of accredited programs is available on the NAAB Web site.

The Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA) offers, an online database of all institutions that offer architecture programs in the United States and Canada. This free service allows you to search by region, curriculum, size of school and more.

Information about education in Canada can be found from the Canadian Architectural Certification Board.